Pages

Friday 12 January 2018

SLJ week 3, day 3

SLJ, Winter Learning Journey
Day 3: Groovy Man (The 1970's)
-
Activity 1: Ready to Roll

In the 1970s one of the most common television programmes was called ‘Ready to Roll.’ It was broadcast on Saturday afternoons and hosted by a man named Roger Gascoigne. During the show, Roger would introduce music videos and then play them for the TV audience. He also invited famous people to come onto the show and perform songs that were currently popular.

Watch the following three clips that were shown on the Ready to Roll programme:
Golden Harvest 
Ray Columbus and the Invaders 
New Zealand Underdogs

When you have finished, rank the clips in order from your most favourite (#1) to your least favourite (#3). Post your rankings on your blog.

1. Ray Columbus and the Invaders - This was my favourite because i would probably listen to this song over and over again and it's very old fashioned. I also enjoyed the beat for the song and the singing

2. Golden Harvest - This is my second favourite because i like the video and the singing is so amazing. I also love how there hair is linked to the olden days, there singing is also amazing

3. New Zealand Underdogs - This is my least favourite because the video didn't amaze me and from my opinion the video is also kind of boring. But i loved the singing and rhythm to the song
-
Activity 2: Bell Bottom Pants

Fashion in the 1970s was quite unique. Take a look at the pictures of a ‘typical’ 1970s outfit and tell us, on your blog, two things that you like about 1970s fashion and two things that you don’t like about the fashion of the day. I am not a huge fan of the patterned pants. What about you?

 

Two things i like about the 1970's fashion is there clothes and shoes. They look interesting and i also like the olden day hair styles
Two things i dislike about the 1970's fashion is the patterned pants. I'm not a huge fan of patterned pants
-
Bonus Activity: A Bilingual Schooling System

For much of the past century, schools in New Zealand taught students in only one language – English. In 1972, Ngā Tamatoa member, Mrs. Hana Jackson, submitted a petition to Parliament to ask the government to include the teaching of Te Reo Māori (the Māori language) and Māori culture in New Zealand schools. We still use petitions to this day when we want an organisation (e.g. a school) to make a change.

Think about your school. What is one thing that you would like change. Would you like to learn about different things? Maybe you think school should only be open 3 days a week?

On your blog, write a letter to your principal to try and convince him/her to make the change. Ensure that your letter is polite and respectful.

Dear Principle,
I'm writing this letter because i want to make a change in our school. I think we should add more subjects because the 4 ones we are using now are boring, we're doing it everyday and that just makes school boring. So, i think we should add more subjects so people don't get bored while doing there work and give up. Add more interesting subjects no school has ever used, and don't give us boring work we've already done. 
                                                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Salote,

    Well done on completing another 3 activities.

    I love how you want to have more subjects in school. It is very boring isn't it? What subjects would you like to have instead? Well, keep up the amazing work! You're are nearly there!

    Telesia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Salote,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I'm part of the Summer Learning Journey team!

    Activity 1: I'm really glad that you were still able to find something you liked in all the songs. She's a Mod by Ray Columbus and the Invaders is my favourite song too. I love the way Ray Columbus shakes his head to the beat of the song. It makes me want to do that too! Is there another song that just makes you want to get up and dance? I know that when I listen to Happy by Pharrell Williams I always want to get up and dance!

    Activity 2: Thanks for sharing your honest views about 1970's fashion. I'm not a fan of the bell bottomed patterned pants either... I think the pattern really throws me off. It would be hard to find a top that would suit it. I'm more of a sports clothing person because I like to run around and go on lots of walks. Is there a particular type of clothing that you like to wear?

    Activity 3: That is a great request! I like the way you have greeted your principal, but don't forget to let your principal know who the letter is from! Maybe you could end your letter with something like "From Salote". What four subjects do you do at school and what other subjects would you like to be taught? I've always enjoyed Art and Physical Education!

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. Just a reminder that you can earn bonus points by commenting on other children's Summer Learning Journey blog posts. I'm sure they would appreciate your thoughtful and helpful comments.

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.