Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

SLJ week 1, day 1

SLJ, Winter Learning Journey

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a 'waka' to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt nervous...

Dear (Friend)
I enjoyed the experience of riding in a Waka and reaching a new destination i've never been before. It's very weird moving to a new country, i was really nervous when we first arrived. But as we were on the Waka i got really tired tho, my arms felt like they were dying and i wish you were here so we could enjoy riding the Waka together. Anyways, the people here are very nice and polite. It's really weird but i still fit in, and i have to go before they think i'm weird. I wish you all the best, bye.
-
Bonus Activity: Waka Ama To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?
-
I would love to be in a Waka Ama race on day because i want to experience the paddling and team work. Also, it would be great exercise for our arms and it would be a fun activity to do.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Salote!

    I really enjoyed reading your letter to your friend about the voyage across the ocean to New Zealand. It would most definitely be an exhausting trip, wouldn't it?

    I had the opportunity to travel to New Zealand when I was a young girl and, eventually, to move here seven years ago. I actually moved exactly seven years ago today! I am so glad that our family made the move and that we have a chance to live here in NZ. It's such a beautiful place to be and the people are very friendly. I found it pretty easy to fit in.

    I suspect that you, too, would find it pretty easy to fit into a new place. Have you ever had to move somewhere new and make a new friend?

    I'll look forward to reading your blogs and writing to you over the next few weeks. Nicky is currently on holiday but she will be back in January and keen to blog with you as soon as she returns!

    All the best,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Salote,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you this summer alongside Rachel and Nicky. It's great to see that you've been working away on these activities. Well done!

    Being in a Waka Ama race would definitely be good for your strength! You would need to practice a lot before you were ready for the race. What sorts of things do you think you would need to practice? I think you'd need to do lots of excersises together as a team to get ready for the race.

    I wouldn't like to be in a Waka Ama race because I'm not very good at swimming and would be afraid of falling out of the Waka!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings there Salote,

    My name is Aletheia and my school Tamaki Primary School is also doing the summer learning journey.I really enjoy reading your letter to your friend which was really outstanding and great to read.I really enjoyed reading down how you felt about it.

    Nice Job on your explanation to would you go on the waka ama race or not and I do agree with you to go on it and experince paddling plus it would be actually great fun to experience something in water.

    Outstanding work Salote can't wait to read more blog post coming from you.


    Cheers,
    Aletheia!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.