After The Spill - Maria Gill
We are learning to draw on multiple sources of information to comprehend an event.
Word in your language?
Observe and check
( Monitā )
Substances that pollute
( Osen busshitsu )
( Osen sa reta )
( Dokuso )
- Where and when did the event take place? - Bay of Plenty - 5 october 2011
- Using the article and first few pages of the book, write a brief summary to explain what happened in the Rena oil spill. - A ship full of Containers that fell over into the sea. After there was an oil spill in the bay of plenty, This ship was on his way from napier to tauranga when it’s bow became wedged on the reef.
- What role do you think scientists might have played, “after the oil spill”? - They examined the seafood to see if we would eat it or not.
- What role do you think the iwi might have played, “after the oil spill”? - The iwi would tell the scientist knowledge to find the sea creatures.
- Why was it important for the iwi and scientists to work together? - The iwi had some important information that the scientist need to know and they need the iwi to get some advice or information from the local iwi.
- How will the findings help the scientists and iwi if there was a similar disaster? - They would be aware and know what to do next time an oil spill will happen.
Short term effects of the oil spill
Long term effects of the oil spill
Fish and birds died
The beach is closed
Polluting the water
The water is being polluted
More fish and birds will die
We might not be able to swim in the ocean any more.